Thursday, May 30, 2013

Photo challenge: stranger

OK, first of all, strangers don't like having their pictures taken. So unless you're planning on submitting something to Peopleofwalmart, you're better off not snapping snapshots of people as they go about their business.

Will Rogers, 1879-1935
And: what is a stranger?  I have always held with Will Rogers on that.  Will was an interesting fellow, whose lifetime spanned the wild west of the late 19th Century into radio and movie stardom in the 20th.  He was born before the invention of the airplane, and he was killed in a plane crash in Alaska in 1935.  He was a vaudeville performer, skilled with lasso tricks which he would spin while telling jokes and making observations such as, "I don't belong to any organized political party.  I'm a Democrat."

But he also said, "A stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet."  And I like that.  Many people who know me today are friends because I barged right up and started talking to them.

Of course, many people heard me talking to them and then ran as far and as fast as their legs could carry them.  But hey! I love people, I love having friends, and thanks for being one!

No comments: