Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Photo Challenge: Something beginning with 'R'

There could not be any question around our house as to what begins with an 'R' that we really like.  The answer is Cal Ripken, Jr, probably the greatest Baltimore Oriole of all time and the holder of the consecutive games record - 2,632 - that will stand forever.  Of that, I have no doubt.

This poster hangs in my garage. I took it with me one day when I went to get some autographs down at the old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.  I wish I had taken a Sharpie with me, because in black ballpoint, the signature doesn't show all that well.

We saw Cal and his wife and kids eating in a restaurant in Towson one night.  I stood there transfixed, as if seeing one of the Saints from the Bible eating fries and a burger.

If you and yours had the chance to see Cal play, or to be touched by his workpersonlike dedication to excellence, you "R" very lucky.   His father, coach and manager Cal,Sr, had an expression:  Practice doesn't make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.

That sounds "R"ight to me!

No comments: