Saturday, October 23, 2021

The Saturday Picture Show, October 23, 2021

 

Would you rather read a book about birds, or look at real birds?
I would love to go back in time and attend a college football game in 1928, driving around in a Stutz Bearcat, drinking bootleg hooch in a hip flask hidden beneath my raccoon coat. By the way, it was Peter Arno (born Curtis Arnoux Peters, Jr) whose 99 covers over the years defined The New Yorker's sense of style very well. I miss those days and I wasn't even there.
The views in Scotland are lovely all year 'round! I once met a man from Edinburgh and he told me it rained there virtually every day. Sign me up.
No we know why Seattle is considered the hippest town of all. Even back in the era when Grandpa looked like Martin Van Buren, they let kids have a beer. I wasn't raised to think that beer was the devil's brew, and maybe that's why I never abused it. It's basically liquid bread. Have some tonight!
Outside of some elaborate combovers, you don't really see people putting a lot of effort into the length of their hair and beard anymore, which is probably for the better.
I assume the wearer is safe from electric shock in case of rain. A solar-powered fan hat! Hello, Santa?
This is what dollar bills used to look like. You will still see one in your change from the BuySumMor now and again. The story was that you could go to a bank and get a dollar's worth of silver in exchange for your dollar bill. I don't recommend trying that.
So! On March 13, 2020, you had a sesame seed bagel on your last day at the office, and look what sprouted while you were WFH!
Available soon for lunch: the McCicada!
Even as we speak, American confectioners are busy making caramel for your candy apples. THIS is the most wonderful time of the year!

No comments: