Thursday, October 1, 2009

Record Time

I heard that oldie "Popsicles and Icicles" by the Murmaids on the way down the road this afternoon - didja know it was written by a young David Gates before he started baking Bread? - and I wondered how I would match up against the hero of the song. How many of the things he loved do I love? And this matters, why, now?

But here are the lyrics:

Popsicles, icicles, baseball and
fancy clothes
These are a few of the things he loves
He loves Levis and brown eyes
And wind blowin' through his hair
These are a part of the boy I love

If you put them all together
Much to your surprise (oh tell me what)
You'll find a bit of heaven
Right before your eyes

Bright stars and guitars and
Drive-ins on Friday night
These are a few of the things we love

(May be) silly but still he is
Just what I dream about
Yes, he's the boy that I love

If you put them all together
Much to your surprise (oh tell me what)
You'll find a bit of heaven
Right before your eyes

Bright stars and guitars and
Drive-ins on Friday night
These are a few of the things we love

(May be) silly but still he is
Just what I dreamed about
Yes, he's the boy that I love

Popsicles, icicles
Popsicles, icicles, hmmm

And how did I score? Well, let's check the old National Beer Scoreboard! Popsicles -haven't had one for decades, so fearful of brain freeze again am I, but I guess I liked 'em in my day. Icicles were cool (get it?) when you were a kid and could run around the yard faking like they were daggers. Not so cool when you're Mr Homeowner, and you have to worry about one falling off the rain spout and impaling the guy who's walking up the steps to deliver a package or a pizza or a subpoena. So unless your name is Vlad, and mine isn't, I have to give a big no to icicles. Baseball? You betcha I like that, and fancy clothes...this new suit of mine is not all that fancy. I mean it doesn't have any ruffles on it, and no silk paisley lining. So no, I don't go for fancy clothes.

I love Levi's as a generic term for blue jeans: nothing is more comfortable for goofing around, but I save by buying LL Bean jeans. But, since I still wear jeans, that's a yes. Brown eyes? Oh you'd better believe I love my Peggy's brown eyes - the same color as Root Beer Barrel candies! Now, as far as wind blowing through my hair is concerned, I have to say no. Even when I had long hair (it was required by law in the 70's) I hated having it messed up by wind. Also by earth and fire. I solved all this by going to the buzzcut that I currently sport.

Bright stars? Remember what Will Rogers used to say? (Remember Will Rogers?) He said everybody's stupid, just in different subjects. My understanding of the planets, the solar system, the sun, the moon, the heavenly bodies is just below that of the average 3rd-grader. For this reason, I tend not to look up, for fear of spotting a meteorite or asteroid or stalactite and not being able to identify it. I suppose the stars are still up there, but I have to say it's my academically deficient area.

Guitars, couldn't be a bigger yes. Love 'em. Hendrix. Rick Neilsen. Duane Allman. Making pretty music, and still being openhearted. Yes on guitars.

Drive-ins on Friday night? This could refer to drive-in movies, where young couples of the past would "make out" to the accompaniment of movies starring "Frankie Avalon" in someone's father's "Buick" until someone was "late"...either "late" getting home, or the other, way more serious kind of "late." Or - it could mean one of those burger joints where you pulled up in your car and a young woman on roller skates rolled up to your rolled-down window to take your order, and then brought back food that you sat and ate in your car, on trays that hung off the windows. If you're having trouble picturing either of these concepts, just make sure you don't mix them up in your mind and expect something more than a burger, fries and coke from the woman on skates. I know I did.

I count myself as liking 6 out of 10 things, for a score of 60%. Which is passing, right? Hey - there's something else I like!

No comments: