Saturday, May 16, 2009

Seasons must change...separate paths, separate ways

Today was my last on my job as facilities manager; I start Monday in a whole new area of endeavor within the same department. My kind boss decided to spend the last hour of today's annual retreat on a roast / salute to me. It was beyond touching. Normally stolid, I truly became misty-eyed. It was so nice; people had all sorts of nice things to say about me and even the roast was ever so gentle, lightly spoofing the more comic aspects of my personality: daily wearing of red socks, insisting on punctuality and good grammar, and arcane cultural references that not many people are interested in. (Such as the word "arcane.") I appreciate the people I used to work with and it feels odd to even say "used to" work with because I miss them already. I hope they know I will always love them.

But I wanted to mention a couple of harbingers...signs, omens, portending good things for me. First, when I got out of my truck this morning, I spotted a penny on the ground. After making sure that it was face up (I am not above picking up a penny - you do it a hundred times and you've got a dollar - but I won't bother with one upside down) I pocketed it. Not until later did I look at it and see that it was dated 1983 - the year that I first went to work for the County.

Then when I was wheeling the truck into the park where the retreat was held, what song came up on the CD that I selected at random? None other than the beautiful ballad "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)" by
Mötley Crüe.

I'm not going away mad; I have nothing to be mad about. Nothing but happy memories accompany me out of the one job and into the other. I don't really need an augury of happy times found on the street or on my speakers to tell me I'll be happy in the new job, but it's nice to have it going on my side for the new adventure.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Your new adventure will be just as wonderful as you make it and, knowing you, it will be the best! It was fun for me to spend part of the day and see the love that was in the air. I am proud of you, and know you will always keep in touch with the gracious and supportive people from your "old" adventure.