Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pardon Me, I speak phonetics

Owing to my employment with the County's Emergency Services, I still speak in phonetics when it becomes necessary to spell something out. Police will talk on the radio this way to avoid confusion. For instance, if the surname of some fleeing felon is, oh let's say, "Cheney,'' there might be all sorts of ways to spell that last name. Accuracy is important, which is why to this day I don't just say "C H E N E Y," opting instead for the clarity of "C Charles H Henry E Edward N Nora E Edward Y Young."

If you'd like to learn this phonetic skill, here is the alphabet for you, police-style:

A Adam
B Boy
C Charles
D David
E Edward
F Frank
G George
H Henry
I Ida
J John
K King
L Lincoln
M Mary
N Nora
O Ocean
P Paul
Q Queen
R Robert
S Sam
T Tom
U Union
V Victor
W William
X Xray
Y Young
Z Zebra

Just ask Peggy - when I start spelling out stuff like this and answering her with "10-4" it's enough to drive her C Charles R Robert A Adam Z Zebra Y Young.

And the code for that is "10-96."

1 comment:

Peggy said...

There is a word I could spell out, but won't! HAHA! That does drive me 10-96.