Friday, May 15, 2009

Miss California? (How could I? I've never been there)

Dear Miss California,

It's a free country, as you know, so you are certainly entitled to your views on same-sex marriage. You really did not articulate them all that well, but we got your point: your faith is the kind that would seek to prevent others from finding what brings them happiness and bliss, and that prevention brings you yours.

So be it. Free country, takes all kinds, live and let live, who am I to judge, etc etc.

But the other day you mentioned your grandfather, and that he fought in the Battle of the Bulge to protect your freedom....which he did, and a lot of brave people fought in that most horrible battle of World War II, and I think it's akin to damning with faint praise to think that they fought, and died, in some cases, to make sure that beauty contestants could get up and make ridiculously fatuous statements while wearing bikinis and high heels.

I like to think that they fought for all the rights and freedoms of all of us, and if that includes other people who want to be together, it's none of your damned business, young lady.

And if Grandpa had needed medical attention or more ammo or some other buddy backup during that battle, do you think he would have turned it down, had it been offered by a gay person married to another person of the same sex?

And please, could you drop the "I'm a victim!" charade? The real victims are the millions of people who are repressed by backward thinkers such as you.

You make me think of the old country song: Pretty girl, pretty clothes, pretty sad.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Oh My! Well put, I agree with you!