Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cash or charge?

This is going to be something different. : An Oprah-centric entry in which I don’t take Oprah to task. Oprah, no. Oprah’s mother, yes.



According to the Associated Press, Vernita Lee owes a clothing store in her town, Milwaukee, around $160,000 for clothing she purchased and for which now feels disinclined to pay.

So the mind reels. Was the clothing damaged in shipment? Wrong size? Wrong color? Sleeves a little too sleevy, blouses blousy, suits didn’t suit her? Did she feel hemmed in by the hems? Did the little tag in the back of the neck tag her skin? Seven times “no” to those questions, good buddy.

Ms. Lee is responding to the suit filed by Valentina Inc., seeking $155,547 in purchases and interest as of July 1 by filing a counterclaim, contending that Valentina took advantage of her "lack of knowledge, ability, and-or capacity" when creating her credit account.

So, that’s the defense. You should not have allowed me to buy this stuff! You know I can’t handle credit accounts and I tend to go way over my head with debt! Some lawyers – and she has hired three of them for this case – told Ms. Lee that would work in court, so here’s the plan: We go to court and say it’s all their fault! They never should have sold it to me!

There are unconfirmed reports that Ms. Lee is headed for a big career as a Wall Street financial planner, or maybe as an adviser to old McCain. Sarah Palin reportedly was trying to figure out how many of them moose-huntin’ outfits she could buy for $160,000 worth of beaver pelts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear God! I laughed and laughed at this! Where do you ever find these pictures? Too funny. But, if that defense holds, look out Macy's, here I come!!!!!!

Everyone else will be doing the same as well!

princealexsmomma said...

no kidding? I am going to shop till I drop. Oh wait, I already do!