Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Post # 100

I keep promising myself that I won't always go political on this blog, because I have good friends and kinfolk for whom I feel tremendous affection and respect whose views are at total variance with mine. But damn it all, I really have to say something when this old man who cheated on his wife and had to run around with the beer baron's daughter and do all those cheesy things as if he were starring in a Tony Curtis movie, this old man who at one time tonight called Ronald Reagan his hero and then ten minutes later called Theodore Roosevelt his hero, who nonetheless calls everyone "my friend," this playboy son and grandson of admirals who got into the Naval Academy and was graduated with the stellar academic record of being #594 in a class of #599, this temperamental superannuate who so callously and disingenuously selected a running mate solely on the basis of her gender, who even tonight rails on about his insane "I will follow Osama bin Laden to the gates of hell," who stirs up the alta cockers with his worrying about Russia, as if this were 1957: when this man wants to be president of the United States, I say it will be a very sad United States should that ever happen.




But it won't, so what the hey. And there were five lesser students than he in his USNA class, so let them run, too.




As Sidney Freedman said on M*A*S*H* -



Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice:

Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.





A whole 'nother topic:



The Baltimore SUN recently dropped Zippy the Pinhead from its daily comic lineup. Zippy's brilliant creator, Bill Griffith, has asked for support in convincing the editorial board of the local fishwrap to reinstate the Zip. He received support from the owner of the Senator Theatre, the last of the gilded movie palaces in B'more. When you go to the movies in the mall, it's a lot like seeing one of the "See It Now" documentaries in Eleventh Grade Social Studies, except that while the popcorn is better, no one ever remembers to make finger puppets in the projector beam, or hoot and holler when the film breaks and goes flapflapflapflapflap and the teacher is down in the faculty lounge hooving on a Lark. My friends, please contact my friends down at the SUN, my friends, and ask that they bring back my friends from Zippy, my friends.

Hey, I could be a McSpeechwriter!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to see Zippy come back to the Sun as well. Let's hope that happens.