Sunday, October 5, 2008

Oh! So that's how it is!


On Friday I was flipping around the tv dial at lunch time, while sluggishly scooping tuna chunks out of a Pyrex® container with lo-fat lo-carb lo-sodium lo-taste soy chips. and I stumbled across the FOX News channel. Normally, I hit the "ch up^" button as quickly as possible when I land on Faux Noise, but I was up to my wrist in Bumblebee, so sorry, Charlie, I left the tv where it was.




And I am so glad that I did, because a woman came on and explained why, in the face of the current economic crisis that we face, the unemployment rate continues to rise. "Why, it's because of poorly-managed federal fiscal policies and unwise deregulation of the banking and mortgage industries!,"you might exclaim. But according to this woman, that would be wrong. She calmly explained, using little itty-bitty words, that, you see, there were a lot of people who were like "housewives" (been a while since you heard that word, I'll betcha!)




And anyway, they heard rumors of things getting bad in the economy - they may or may not have been true - and then they thought, "well, I might need a job, so I better go and look for one," and when they couldn't find one right away, they counted as unemployed!





So OF COURSE the unemployment rate is going up if you look at like that, for Pete's sake!






In other news, it turns out that we don't really get hungry at dinnertime. We just hear that everyone else is chowing down and we figure it's the thing to do.







This explains the last two presidential elections.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This relates to my theory that if you can put a crazy idea out there, and if it gets attention over and over, it becomes true, no matter how absurd. People rarely take time to think things through anymore.