Wednesday, October 29, 2008

How Bill Gates got started

I used to get hollered at all the time for being a dumpster diver, until the day I came home with a door that happened to match all the other doors in our old house, at a time when my Dad and I were clubbing out the basement. We used it on the basement bathroom, and since it made the whole house uniform, door-wise, Peggy loved it and I got a lifetime pass on hauling anything "nice" home any chance I got.



But let's hear it for the richest man in the country, Mr Bill Gates, of Seattle Washington. Here's what he did at 14. How many of us can say we found stuff that we turned into a gazillion bucks?



from today's Writer's Almanac:



It's the birthday of the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, born in 1955 in Seattle, Washington. When he was in 8th grade, the Lakeside Mothers Club had a rummage sale and used the money to buy computer equipment for the school. Gates and his friend Paul Allen got completely swept up in the excitement of this new technology. They rummaged through dumpsters at the nearby Computer Center Corporation to find notes written by programmers, and with that information, they wrote a 300-page manual. He and Paul Allen moved to Albuquerque and started Microsoft in 1975.



When I was 14, the only thing I had written that would fill up 300 pages was 300 sheets of lined notebook paper, upon which I had written "I will not holler out in class." Turns out, there was no money in that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was so happy you found a door that matched! Who would have thought!