Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage." - Woody Allen

Here's an interesting story from the business world, where fortunes are made and lost overnight and men and women sit at computers all day and sell stocks and bonds and hogbellies:  Wendy's is selling their share of Arby's!

Oh no!  The article goes on all about how the people buying Arby's also own Moe's and Cinnabon and they are assuming 30 million dollars in debt and this one's stock went up and that one went down and furthermore and whereas...

Meanwhile, no one mentions that I can't stand the chow at either one of these chains.  Arby's Roast Beef - "R.B." - get it? - uses some sort of loaf process that takes roast beef chunks and some sort of gelatin and forms it into tubes.  It tastes like a gelatin tube to me. When they opened in the 60's, they used to roast the beef right in the window of the restaurant, with the meat hanging on a chain over a flame.  That location is now a Popeye's that is losing business to a Chik-Fil-A, except on Sundays.

Wendy's? I've had their burgers exactly twice in my life, and on both occasions I was reaching for the antacids before I reached the door to leave. Their process involves cooking the burgers well in advance and then leaving them to swim in some sort of hot juice until you order, whereupon the patty is removed from the pool by tongs and plopped on a roll.  The square patty on a round roll upsets my Feng Shui, and then I want Asian food and I head to Soon Phat or Wok 'n' Roll for my beef 'n' broccoli.

And I have this on good authority from a former Wendy's employee...today's chili is yesterday's burgers.  Just so ya know.

I just find it fascinating that grown men can sit and do these big biz-ness deals all day long and not get hungry.

No comments: