Sunday, August 15, 2010

Red Zone

I was driving behind one of those blue Corollas the other morning and when we got to the red light at The Alameda and Walker Av, the guy sort of pulled up, looked around, and drove right through the red light.

Now I know it's ok to turn right on a red light, but not left.  So either this dude is one of those people who don't know their left from their right, or he is one of those people who just plain don't care to follow the law.

I would hate to think it's the latter, but I don't know.  If the statement "Laws are made to be broken" is itself a law of sorts, then you would break that law by following the law.

And then you'd have to walk around like John Travolta, holding your head in both hands, and bellowing, "I'm so CONFUSED!"

I see a large trend of people just doing what pleases them.  To heck with the law, civil, criminal or societal.  It starts out with deliberately using "your" in place of "you're," and it goes on from there.  Next thing you know, you have a mean dog who runs free about the neighborhood, snipping and yipping. ("Everybody LOVES Scrappy!") And then it's just a short leap to stealing cars, mugging pedestrians and news vendors, and...well, I'm kidding, but seriously, I feel we are becoming a nation of convenience.  And if it's not CONVENIENT to stop at a light, well then, by all means, you just scoot on through there, Sunshine.  Hope no one is coming through the other way!

I keep wanting to go back to 1966 but no one wants to join me.

2 comments:

Ralph said...

When I was a kid just starting to drive, if it was very late and there were no other cars anywhere to be seen, I snuck through red lights, annoyed at the arbitrary rules that make you stop and waste time and gas for no good reason. I still do that occasionally, always with an eye out foor unmarked police cars...so far so good, 50 years later...

Mark said...

Good luck with that - I always suspect that every other car on the road is an unmarked squad car!