Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cawfee Tawk

At Wegman's - world's greatest grocery store - we stopped on Saturday and got a cup of coffee. I went with what they call their "Original Donut Shop Blend." Peggy used about 2/3 of her cup for that, and topped it off with some Hazelnut.

That coffee was gooooooooooooood! as Andy Griffith would have said. Good to the last drop! (So that's where they came up with that expression!)

Then, for dinner on Saturday, we went to the Hibachi Grill, which replaced my beloved Old Country Buffet just a couple of weeks ago.
Two hearty thumbs up! Fine family fare! You can go to the grill area and load up a plate with whatever you want, hand the plate to the man working the grill, and then watch him do his magic with the stir-fry and the flying spatulas and the oils and it's just great! We'll be back - it was so good to be back in the same building where Peggy and I have had so many happy meals over the years.

But on the way out, we stopped at the Original Donut Shop - rhymes with Funkin' Phone-Nuts - and got a cuppa java to go. And it wasn't as good as the grocery store version of donut shop coffee.

I don't know if that was important, but I thought it ought to be told. Not all of these blog entries are of transcending importance. In fact, doggone few of them are, but I'm having the time of my life sharing my life!

2 comments:

Ralph said...

I guess I'm fated never to experience the wonders of Wegman's. They only build in the far 'burbs and it's just too great a distance from Arlington to go tourist grocery shopping. My family and friends out in Fairfax are constantly singing its praises. One good thing Wegman's has done, though, is to raise the bar for all other such emporia in the area. I think we saw "your" Wegman's during a trip north and a pit stop off 95 just north of Ballmer.

Hibachi Grill: didn't know that was up there but we've seen a single other such place, and that was in New Zealand. They called it "The Meat Bar," and it was that, literally: a place full of chilled, salad bar type displays of various cuts of meat that you took to a grill master and had done special order. Alas, it was better in concept than in execution. The meat had been marinated into mush and the grill master seemed to recognize only one degree of doneness, that of the "over-" variety. From your review I take it the Hibachi Grill is better.

Anonymous said...

Loved the entry! And, you can't beat Wegmans coffee!