Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In Dreams I Walk With You...

For the spiffy new picture up over top of these words that aren't nearly as beautiful, a big shout-out to our friends Rob and Carol down in Destin, FL. Carol was nice enough to write today, see how I was feeling, invite us to swing by for a visit someday, and attach this and another picture from that lovely Gulf Shore area. I think that's right...it is the Gulf of Mexico. I noticed that Rob took this particular photo in March of 2004, which was one month before we went down to Pensacola for my nephew's wedding, an event that the locals down there must still be talking about as When The Yankees Came To Town and The Big Guy Driving A Rental Van Drove Onto a Side Street and Got Buried Up To The Axles in Sand. And then one of the 3,000 friendly locals we encountered on that epic voyage (1,050 miles in each direction: me, Peggy, Mom, one Ford Freestar Van, 27 Cracker Barrels, unlimited grits: you do the math) actually pulled over, jumped out of his pickup, and with gigantic shovel-sized hands, helped me dig the van out of the sand, and off we went.

Another trip highlight was Gary's Bar-B-Cue in Kannapolis, NC, where I was served more dinner than I could eat. Friends, that just does not happen up here.

But thanks, Rob and Carol. Still kind of beat, so I am going to bat out a quick thought here and surrender myself to the kind of sleep that two Tylenol PMs can bring a man.

Yesterday, after the weird night of sleep I had, broken as it was sporadically for trips to the salon de bath, I told Peggy about the bizarre dreams I had. One of them involved seeing a snowy egret at Loch Raven, a reservoir near my boyhood home with lots of woods nearby. So many wooded acres, it would seem, that it affords a home for a leopard. That's what I saw in the dream. Egrets (I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention) (sorry) and then a leopard standing there as if he belonged there. And my late father appeared in this dream; he was talking to Peggy about the egrets while I tried to point out that they should turn around and look at - and not be eaten by - the leopard.

And then I dreamed that one of my nephews - not going to say which one but he is the older of the two and the reason for the trip to P'cola - had abandoned his previous enterprises and bought a defunct Dunkin' Donuts franchise in Baltimore. I mean to tell you, it was so real. Peggy and I were down there helping them set it up, and he even had these little license tags to hang below his regular license tags, the little tags meant to identify him as a proud DUNKIN' DONUTS FRANCHISE HOLDER. You'd have to know my family to appreciate the incongruity of this. If Drew (looks like I named him after all) consumes a gram of sugar per month, that's a heavy month. He eats and lives cautiously, and for him to sell java and sinkers would be akin to seeing Billy Graham signing up to play guitar and do backup vocals for Kid Rock.

The dream really became odd when I asked how come the previous owner had shuttered the donut shack up, and Drew said,"He thought it was a bad location," and I looked out to see that what was causing the shadow on the front of the sugaratorium as nightfall approached was the facade of Oriole Park at Camden Yards. That meant, of course, that we were right in the childhood stomping (literally) grounds of Babe Ruth, for whom coffee and donuts were rarely on the bill of fare.

Now then. I related the dreams, ascribed them to either what Scrooge called an undigested bit of cheese or temporary virus lunacy, and Peggy rushed to bring out the 47 different books she has collected over the years on the arcane topic of dream analysis. The leopard means you are self confident! Or, that I dreamed about a leopard, to my way of seeing it. Seeing your father meant you need to communicate something to him! Or, that I saw my father!

I don't know how you stand on dream analysis. I can't see how it can come from anyplace real. How can seeing an animal in a dream mean something concrete? I remember a website called Pepperoni Dreams, in which people would deliberately consume spicy foods right before taking a nap, so they could wake up and write down their crazy dreams. At least, these people get a nice snack for their reward and dream about it later.

And that's a dream we can all analyze, right, Sigmund?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dreams always mean something. I'm for analyzing most anything. Since I am now reading "Women Who Run with the Wolves", I like to think about it all.


And, I would like to hear what Drew would have to say about his new business venture!!!!

The Beynon Family said...

This is hilarious! You are right, for Drew to consume even a small amount of sugar is a BIG month! Maybe if his time at Field Turf doesn't work out, we can fall back on the Dunkin Donuts idea. But, you know me. Being a girl from the South, I would have to vote for Krispy Kreme!