Thursday, February 5, 2009

It's 6 AM somewhere

When I was a young 'un, just a bald-faced boy, my pop worked shift work, so every third week, he worked midnight shift for the Baltimore Gas and Electric. He worked in the office where they calculated just how much power to be cranking out all over their service area. Too much would be wasteful; too little would cause a brownout. And all this was done before computers and calculators, so that's why Dad was a bit on the precise side. He would actually say things such as, "Why say 'the one before the next-to-the-last one' when there's a perfectly good word - 'antepenultimate' - for that concept?"

This will hardly be the antepenultimate time I discuss this dinner concept, but on those weeks of midnight shift, Dad used to like to wake up to breakfast food. Faithful readers (thank you both!) will recall my rapt discussions of waffle procedures. We'd have waffles, bacon, eggs...a veritable Grand Slam before Denny's even came along, all homemade by Mom for dinner.

I thought it was the coolest thing. Still do, and fix that sort of thing often, although these days I go for the Heart Smart Bisquick and cheapie pre-cooked thin bacon and maybe just one egg.

On the way up to Friendly Farm, I saw a sign at Hereford Volunteer Fire Company - they had held a fund-raising Breakfast for Dinner last Wednesday. I immediately felt that old familiar hankering for waffles, sausage, orange juice.

In Olde Williamsburg they sometimes serve fried chicken with breakfast. Order it with scrambled eggs, and see which comes first!

2 comments:

Ralph said...

Chicken and egg. LOL!

I guess I'm lucky because the idea of a huge carb-loaded breakfast like waffles or pancakes sounds like an all-day ordeal to me. I feel super full and super sleepy after such an extravaganza, hardly ready to face the day with clear head and bright eyes. I couldn't tell you when I had may last waffle. Now, tell me you're fixing a three- or four-egg omelet with cheese and ham and veggies and then bacon and scrapple on the side--and incidentally, some home fries--you can't keep me away! Load me with protein and toss in a potato and that's it. But then I can't even look at food for the rest of the day.

Anonymous said...

I, too, liked the chicken and the egg comment! As for the new waffle maker that we have, if we ever get a free moment for dinner, we will have to try that! I know how much you enjoy "breakfast" food for dinner!