Wednesday, January 27, 2010

This really blows

Monday morning, the wind was blowing. I should have been singing that old song by The Association, the one about how "Windy has stormy eyes that flash at the sound of lies...", "and who's bending down to give me a rainbow...Everyone knows it's Windy..."

Well, everyone knows that it did feel as if Mother Nature was bending down to see how much wind it would take to knock a large man to the ground, or, more precisely, to the driveway between the parking garage at my doctor's office and the office building itself. Friends, I have been treading this earth for nigh onto 59 years now, and I have never been in wind like that. Tastefully clad in my big old crimson "Alabama" jacket, I must have made an inviting target to the guy driving a big old blue Buick. I think he didn't know what to do. Surely, one of the options that darted through his mind was to run me over, but he settled on sitting there, watching me with the curiosity normally paid to a runaway tiger in the streets of Sri Lanka. Had he been an Auburn fan, I might be writing this from the emergency room, or worse.

Nothing bad happened. I held my stance and waited a few seconds, and then the gust that once bid fair to elevate me 1/2way across the county went somewhere else to bedevil someone else, and I, dignity intact, (laughter) finished my walk and went to the doctor.

Still, it was one of those moments that you want to remember. The same wind and rain storm that swept through our town that morning knocked trees down onto cars, and lifted some guy's entire shed out of his yard and onto the road in front. Had flying monkeys soared past me, I would not have been surprised at all.

No comments: