Friday, August 28, 2009

Hit or Myth

It took a long, long time, but I realized something - I am really mad at a lot of people. No, not those people. I'm talking about the people who told us when we were little kids that the Russians were all planning to come and annihilate us with their Sputniks and stomp us into the frozen tundra and the worst thing is that all the Russians looked like Nikita Krushchev.

Even the women, they hissed.

Well sir, I don't presume to evaluate an entire country full of women, nor would I want to, but hello! There is Mila
Kunis from the 70's Show and movies such as Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Natalie Wood (born Natalia Zacharenko, of Russian parentage, and there is Olga, a waitress who served us so very nicely last week at the fashionable Lobster House in Cape May and there is Kseniya, the lovely young receptionist at the physical therapy place I go to and I don't know who-all else but there are enough right there to put the kibosh on the Krushchev-lookalike thing. Any country that sends us Mila Kunis enjoys most-favored nation status with me, I'll tell you that right now.

And don't you just know that on the very same day I was sitting at Hampton Elementary School, hearing Miss Van Breeman weave her babushka of propaganda, some impressionable Russian kid was sitting in Hamptonovich School being told by Miss Anastasia that all American women look like Dwight
Eisenhower. And I bet he believed her, the fool.

No comments: