Monday, February 6, 2017

Those Daggone Quizzes

Someone sent this to me, knowing that I can't resist filling in these quizzes...so here we go...

1. Whom are you named after?
Mark from the Bible. People often assume I was named for the WWII General whose name I share, but such was not the case. If you're asking about what names I would rather have been given, start with "Floyd" or "Leon."

2. Last time you cried?
I had not cried for many years until 2014, when our dear friend Deanna died suddenly from bacterial meningitis. I cried then, and I don't mind telling you that every so often, from out of a clear blue sky, something will make me think of the life she had to leave behind at 26, and tears come to my eyes.

3. Do you like your handwriting?
No. To be quite frank, it's awful, and I can't make it any better unless I write in cursive   v e r y   s l o w l y   and then, it looks like that of a fourth-grader.

4. What is your favorite lunchmeat?
Rare roast beef, provolone, horseradish sauce, a little pepper.  Oh, you were just asking, not taking orders. I see.

5. Do you still have your tonsils?
I'm that one in ten thousand whose tonsils just disappeared one day. One year, at my physical, the doctor said, "The next time your tonsils flare up, we're going to have to take them out," and the next year, they were GONE! Without surgery! Medical marvels unmasked!

6. Would you bungee jump?
There being no purpose to this endeavor, no, no, no!

7. What is your favorite kind of cereal?
Store brand crispix or real Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

8. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
No. I leave them tied. They're all Rockports, first choice of all old dude mallwalkers.

9. Do you think you're strong?
Strong enough to shovel snow and haul out the trash, but no match for either of the Williams sisters.

10. Favorite ice cream?
Breyers Vanilla, floating in seltzer!

11. What is the first thing you notice about a person?
Their speech, their grammar and the care they employ in pronunciation. People say that's shallow, but would you have brain surgery performed by someone who says, "They ain't no chancet of sumpin' goin' wrong here"?

12. Football or baseball?
As the season dictates.

13. What color pants are you wearing?
Navy.

14. Last thing you ate?
A BLT wrap.

15. What are you listening to?
Oldies Party on Sirius. Specifically, "Tweedle-Dee" by LaVern Baker.

16. If you were a crayon, what color would you be?
Crimson or something similarly flamboyant, although my favorite crayon name was always Burnt Sienna.

17. Favorite smell?
Bread baking. I often drive out of my way to cruise past Schmidt's Bakery down by the Fullerton fire station.

18. Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone?
I really cannot remember.  Tells you a lot about how great retirement is.

19. Married?
Since 12/8/73.

20. Hair color?
Born blonde - almost white.  Then it went brown and now it's a really mousy grayish.

21. Eye color?
Blue green.

22. Favorite food to eat?
Seafood

23. Scary movies or happy endings?
Happy endings always. So much of life is nerve-wracking, why add to the stress with daunting movies? This is why I proudly say, I like Hallmark movies.  Everyone winds up really happy and the meanies get what they had coming to them.

24. Last movie you watched?
Image result"Capote." Truman Capote fascinated me, and the story of the Clutter murders that he wrote about in "In Cold Blood" is interesting to me, fifty years later.  And Philip Seymour Hoffman's acting was superb in the movie.

25. What color shirt are you wearing?
Purple tee over a turquoise baseball shirt. 

26. Favorite Holiday?
Christmas

27. Drink you order with a meal?
Water and iced tea (unsweetened), both with lemon.

28. Night owl or morning person?
Try having cats and not being a morning person! And I always like to get up early and get a leg up on the day ahead.

29. Favorite day of the week?
How to say this without seeming braggy?  Every day is Saturday when you're retired! Plus, I have always enjoyed every minute of every day, even when times weren't stellar.  Nothing beats life as we know it.








No comments: