Thursday, May 1, 2014

"What I Am" is "The Boxer"

Paul Simon has had quite a career in the music industry.  From his early days recording poppish almost-hits with Art Garfunkel as "Tom and Jerry," to his early-sixties days as a member of Tico and the Triumphs ("Motorcycle," 1962) to his more important contributions to the folk-rock era with Simon and Garfunkel, he has been involved in musical culture for over half a century.  In fact, you might say that no song more perfectly reflects the nature of folk-rock than S&G's "The Sound of Silence," recorded first in 1964 in a pure acoustic version- without commercial success - and then, reproduced with drums and electric guitars and bass, it was re-released as "The Sounds of Silence," and became a #1 hit. 

And from there, they went to record many other popular songs, and then came the inevitable decline from popularity, and Simon's "I can't be embarrassed by this because I am playing a guy who is embarrassed to be wearing a turkey costume on Saturday Night Live" era, followed by the saddest days of all: touring with Sting.


Yes, that is Paul Simon.  And have
you met his wife Edie (r)?
Now 72, Simon spent Monday afternoon in court in his current hometown of New Canaan, CT, after he and his wife, singer Edie Brickell, 47, were booked for disorderly conduct on Saturday night. There was a dispute between the two, so the story goes, and then Edie's mother decided to call the cops.   His lawyer put the weight on the mother-in-law for dragging the law into it, and Edie herself said, “I got my feelings hurt and I picked a fight with my husband. The police called it disorderly. Thank God it’s orderly now.”

Yes, Edie (last famous in 1988), the police will tend to regard as disorderly any conduct they are called to handle with people flailing away at each other, verbally or otherwise.

I mean, for crying out loud, can't you people sit up there in Connecticut with your money and your old records and behave yourselves?  If I have to come up there and straighten things out, I'll give you something to be sorry for!  I'll bring Sting (left) with me!



No comments: