Friday, May 30, 2014

Just Add Water

It appears that Peggy and I were the last to come down with this stomach cootie or whatever it is that's been going around the last month or so.  So that's it for that, and good riddance. You know what they say; a couple of days being sick is a drag, but seven of them makes one weak.

OK. They don't all say that, but more of them do than you think.

The whole thing made me think about appreciation for the little things, because the first night when I was "busy" "being sick," I came down with a side effect known in the medical and sewing trades as "Velcro mouth."  When I wanted to say something, I felt as if I had to pry my lips apart and manually separate my tongue from the roof of my mouth.  I don't know what causes dry mouth, but I am willing to give it back. 

But my angelic wife Peggy went down to the kitchen and brought me a bottle of water.  Never tasted anything so sweet as a nice sip of cold water in the middle of a sick night.  I know water is not on the bucket list for a lot of people; folks go for bottled soda and sweet tea and Arnold Palmers, that combination of lemonade and iced tea.  Nobody does commercials for plain old water, but that plain old WalMart H2O in the crinkly plastic bottle tasted like champagne at 3:30 in the yawning.

I remember Howard Stern arguing with someone years ago; it was a caller who said she could not have a baked potato without butter and sour cream and all the other fixin's.  Howard's point was that if she had been in a concentration camp for three months, living on water and crumbs, that plain baked potato would taste like heaven to her.

It's all a matter of perspective, I know, but I just want to give a shoutout to plain ol' water. Sometimes, the simplest things are the best.  

No comments: