Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Men call it S, S and S

Someone once advised me that I just should not write about things that were none of my beeswax.

Like I would listen to advice.

I stumbled across an article in the New York TIMES recently which told of women who are facing the world every day with their own real face...no makeup.  To tell you the truth, I don't see how women can get up early in the morning to apply false eyelashes and eye and cheek makeup.

But the key thing is, if a woman (or a man) wants to go around just as they appear as they drip out of the shower, only a little drier, then what the heck?  If you feel comfortable with your look, that should be all that matters.

Years ago, I was at a grocery store early on a Sunday morning (I think we were out of Hostess Do-Nettes, the little powdered-sugar belly grenades that I used to love so much) and I ran into the woman who cut Peggy's hair in those days.  She recognized me and flew into a panic.  She burbled, "Oh, of all days to run into someone I know, and me without my face on!"

I pointed out that she need not worry, her face was right there in front of her head, but that did not allay her concerns. (My batting average for concern-allaying has been dismal over the years.) But, she looked fine without all the paint and powder and eyeliner and eye shadow and I don't know what-all else.

Another field of interest for those who regard PEOPLE magazine as a news source is pictures of celebrities without makeup.  As the photo at right shows, a little of the old Maybelline does wonders...

I salute those women who feel comfortable enough in their own skin to meet the world as nature sent them out here.  And I equally salute those who feel better with the expensive creams and powders.  I just want everyone to feel comfortable as they wish to.  My own extensive beauty regimen remains unaltered: Brush the choppers, shave now and again, shower with hot water and Pears' soap, followed by a brisk nap.




No comments: