Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Saturday Picture Show, May 24, 2014

 If you'll pardon me for a moment for getting personal, this is the recent photo from the Old Timers' Night at the Providence Volunteer Fire Company, where I, starting at 16, learned firefighting, EMS, and life lessons that have paid off a thousand times.  Every year now, they put on a dinner for us "alumni," and we go, tie on the feedbag, and swap tales of fires and incidents long ago.
 The caption reads, "Jack Whinery, homesteader, and his family, Pie Town, New Mexico, October 1940."  I wonder how things turned out for this family through the war years of the 40s.  I do know one thing: not one of these people ever ever once said, "Ewww!  I don't like this!" when they sat down to sup.

 If the goal is to make people question your sanity and judgement, congratulations!  The park rangers in Yosemite must love this special foolhardiness.
 In one of the few healthy moves I ever made, I gave up soda years ago, but I remember all the ersatz brand names for off-brand sodas. The big name in fakey pop is what everyone calls their imitation Dr Pepper, seen here.  I want to market a can called "Dr Oz" - all hot air with no substance.
Haters gonna hate.  It's pollen time!
I borrowed this picture from Mary Hays Vollmer, who was in my class
in elementary school back when Ike was president.  It reminds me of Mr Lennon
encouraging us all to imagine all the people sharing all the world. 

No comments: