Friday, October 18, 2013

One For the Books

A friend, in her blog, posted a quiz that's all about books and the books we love.  One of the questions was to name my favorite book.

I could no more do that than pick my favorite fish from the sea, although I will answer the question somehow.

What my favorite book is at any given moment will depend on what I am interested in at that moment, although it is safe to say that my tastes run out of the bounds of what's most popular.  So, no James Patterson, no John Grisham, not even J.K. Rowling, thanks.

I have always been a book reader, a magazine reader, a cereal box reader.  Even as a kid, I would read books about the presidents, baseball, the Civil War (yes, it was over by then.) And for sure, a newspaper reader, and that seems to be a fading habit for many.

Emily Dickinson said, "There is no frigate like a book, to take us worlds away."  And she said this in a poem, which was in a book.

Not to speak for Ms Dickinson, but her point is that you can read about everything in a book.  Not all of us have the werewithal, the time or the opportunity to travel around the world, but anyone can get a book and read about people, places and things far away and near.  And library cards are free, and books can be borrowed, taken home and enjoyed for free!

I've known people who love not to read, but I couldn't imagine life without it.

Thank you for reading this!

No comments: