Sunday, November 7, 2010

It's Only Make-Believe

I see there is some sort of debate mildly raging among parents.  Somewhere in this great wide large country of ours, a young man chose to go as "Daphne" from the Scooby Doo TV cartoon for Halloween.

Wow.  The world just came to an end.  Imagine, a male dressing as a female.


Milton Berle turned it into an art form and he's not alone. Peggy has always claimed that most men want to parade around in female garb, although it's of no interest to me.  I mean, I'm not all that great-looking in the gender that nature assigned me, and certainly there is no amount of paint and powder and frilly frocks that are going to turn me into another Christie Brinkley.  The best I could hope for would be to look like David Brinkley.

So, anyway, the problem with this kid dressing as Daphne is what, now?  It's going to turn him into a cross-dresser for life?  Kinda doubt it; there is no indication that Milton Berle did not know whether to choose a tuxedo or an evening gown for a big night on the town.  It's a costume, and dressing up as the other gender will not make you the other gender, any more than getting an orange tan will turn you into a congressperson with a pistachio tie.

No comments: