Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Had 4 thoughts today and here they are

Ms Peggy and I took the day off for Easter Monday, and just lazed the morning away watching TV, munching toast and relaxing. But the following thoughts darted across my brainpan:

a - what is the reason for all these TV commercials featuring voiceovers done by female announcers to be so uninflected, nasal, and drone-y, if you will? I hear these ads, and the voices are so dull and lifeless, almost like parodies of long-ago telephone operators. But it seems to me that most of the products advertised are directed to female purchasers, and trust me on this about people in advertising, they wouldn't step in out of the rain unless a focus group assured them it was the best way to stay dry. Meaning, they have all sorts of research telling them that this straightline adenoidal delivery is not likely to displease a female viewer.

b - Your results may vary, but one of the side effects of one of the drugs we heard advertised today was tuberculosis. Really, doctor? I can take this drug, and there's just a chance that I'll get tuberculosis? Can you write me a six-month scrip for that?

c - There was a movie on TCM. I didn't get the name of the movie, nor could I name any of the ham-fisted actors who plied their trade in it, but if this was any sort of accurate depiction of American life in the 1940s, I'm not too sorry that I missed a period when people smoked constantly, treated wives like staff members whose main tasks involved whippin' up dinner in a hurry and keepin' the homestead spotless, spent their evenings leaning on pianos in drawing rooms while some member of the group "tickled the ivories," wore two-tone wingtip shoes, talked to each other in the staccato fashion of Broderick Crawford, and punctuated their speech with "Say," and "Why," and "That's super, Allan."

d - All props to the Navy Seals. All props to the merchant ship captain who gave himself up as a hostage to free his crew. But, now, I mean really, Pirates?
Is this 1709? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!


1 comment:

Peggy said...

I always liked "Pete, the Pirate". He seemed just fine! So much for that, huh???