Sunday, March 15, 2009

Still considering

Everyone knows people with what I guess are self-esteem issues, issues that lead them into relationships at best unsatisfying and degrading and at worst physically and emotionally harmful.

I worry about such things, because I would like to have everyone I know be happy and safe. Not gonna happen, I know.

I'm that lucky guy with a one-of-a-kind marriage. I appreciate the fact that I was sent an angel to love, and I just wish the same all around.

But sitting here at 0648 on a drizzly Sunday morning, I hear birds chirping outside. Spring starts Friday. The earth continues to revolve, and I think of Arthur Lee, who said, "Love on earth must be."

I know it takes the skills and education of a therapist to help people with these issues, but for those of us without that skill and expertise, there ought to be a way to help. All I can think of is to show more love.

Like chicken soup, it can't hurt...


1 comment:

Ralph said...

And, Mark, sometimes the best love you can show to someone else is to suggest that they need professional help, and to yourself by not becoming frustrated when just "showing love" doesn't do any good. A wise friend once said, "You am not a social worker." It helped me get past my compulsion to "help" when mere friendly concern was not enough.