Friday, November 28, 2008

Tribute to a friend


Not this Buddy!

My friend Jim down Florida way sent me some sad news tonight. His dog, a greyhound named Buddy, passed away last week, aged 14. Of course, since I relate to virtually event life event through a Simpsons vignette, I recall how Bart came to be the human companion for his ex-greyhound racer named Santa's Little Helper. SLH is not exactly Einstein in fur. But, my buddy's buddy Buddy was one of those canine companions who did more than sit around the front porch like the hound on Hee-Haw. Turns out that Buddy was a dog who would go with Jimbo to nursing homes to cheer the lame and halt, the dispirited, the lonely. Previously, Buddy had gone as a pet therapy dog, and had done a lot of good for people in need of psychotherapy. I guess that Buddy approached all these duties with dogged devotion, I dunno.



I've never been much on having pets around the house, for no reason greater than to avoid the grief Jimbo is currently experiencing. Casting about for ways to help balm his soul, I think of the obvious, which is to remind him that his life was all the better for having taken Buddy in and sharing him with the afflicted, the despondent, the lonesome. Better to have loved and lost, I know. But dang, it's gotta hurt. I am sorry, Jimbo. Godspeed, Buddy. We can hope your soul comes back as a new companion for Jim.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pets a balm for the soul. They will love you unconditionally. What a nice tribute.

JimInPcola said...

Like I said in my email to you, I could go on all day long with truly moving stories about that exceptional dog. It was as if he descended from the heavens solely to touch the souls of mere mortals. He will be missed forever. Thanks for your kind tribute.

Jim (Buddy's Bart)