Sunday, November 9, 2008

We've all done it, and had it done to us, and I don't know which hurts the worst.




I'm thinking of busted friendships, when you've been tight with someone, and then something happens.


Sometimes it happens over a long period of time, and then it's like when someone at work loses a lot of weight, but you don't notice it because you see him/her every day. It can be a gradual process.


Or it can be one single act from a veritable cornucopia of friendship-killers. No need to give further details or examples.




And I'm not even thinking about a specific story here; I saw this picture


and it led to this one, a reminder that in all things, all we can hope for is plenty of this all around:




1 comment:

Ralph said...

Mark, this short post resonates with me. We were suddenly dropped as friends about 10 years ago by someone who was, we thought, a BFF. No warning, no further word, no clue as to why from mutual friends. We were, and remain, mystified.

But then again, I've done exactly the same thing to someone else. I guess the decision made in these situations is that for whatever reason, the friendship has run its course. One of you no longer feels he is getting what he used to get out of it, and it isn't worth discussing or potentially creating hard feelings when there really aren't any--the only feeling left is boredom, and that's not a kind thing to say. I chose not to talk to my ex-friend out of respect for our history together. I guess, in a perverse way, that's an act of friendship.