Wednesday, September 24, 2008

So shoot me for liking good grammar

Friends, it's past the point of just hollering about people saying, "my computer needs to have it's hard drive replaced" or, "I know your only fooling" or, "Its a long way to Tipperary" or, "I wanted to see if I could borrow you're lawnmower." These are the classics that everyone pulls out of their hat when they want to demonstrate the grammatical errors so often seen in everyday writing. Oh yeah, that's another one: "Our low prices save you money everyday." When I tried to explain why this slogan was ineptly expressed at a local grocery store, to share the subtle difference between an adjective and an adverbial phrase, the manager looked at me askance, and kept peering over my shoulder, apparently looking for a hidden camera. I, too, enjoy the work of Allen Funt, but it was not afoot in that instance. I've become so inured to all this that I no longer even comment on any but the most egregious offense, but today I saw signs of a mutation that, if allowed to spread, could threaten the Franco-American way of life we have come to cherish. It all began with a certain predilection for saying "Voila!" but so many people kept spelling it wrong; it began to lose its effect. They would say, "I put the cake in the oven and Viola! It came out perfect." I kept waiting for someone to say "I wanted to buy an instrument that was like a violin in many ways, but richer and darker in tone, and Viola! I found it" but that never came across my reading. But, there developed in the national consciousness a desire to throw this French exclamation around (it's not that heavy, anyway.) I have now, for the second time, been plowing through some prose and found this: "I was looking for Renfrew Court and then wala! I found it." So, because of lax vigilance on the part of Linguistic Security, " \vwä-'lä\" became "\vi-'o-l?" and now is hiding under the neologism "wala."

Is it too late to run to Chick-Fil-A for some Chick-n-Minis?

Just because I had no other picture to run today:


3 comments:

Ralph said...

I laughed out loud at the logical outcome of the story about looking for a deeper-voiced violin. But I don't think "Wala!" is just another version of "Viola!" (I'm laughing as I type this--it's all so funny!) People who say "Wala!" are really trying to pronounce the word the way they've heard it but they have no idea it's French (and would never utter it if they did) and that it has an actual meaning. God knows where they think it came from...maybe it's a truncated version of that city in Washington State?

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Ralph. Very funny and I was laughing as well!

It's not going to end, and you just may be wasting your time, but it gave you a chance to vent. And, a funny chance at that!!! I know language is important and I, too, have been guilty of not using the proper word at times!

JimInPcola said...

Sometime's u r to picky about grammer Mark. Cant u just except people 4 who they r? Geez!