Friday, September 12, 2008

Porkfest!



Spent some time this evening poring over old photo albums, and I came across this classic shot from the early 90's.

Did you ever have company that just loved the same meal every time, so that's what you always put out? We had friends who just loved what I called the "Pennsylvania Porkfest" menu - they were both from north of the border *, as it were, so this put them in mind of home. We always had a great time at this!

There were no appetizers, no preprandial canapes, nothing to amuse the bouche. All bouches were amused by the real thing, the main course, the pork loin roast grilled on the charcoal grill and slathered with KC Masterpiece Bar-B-Q sauce. Pork gravy, mashed 'taters, and sauerkraut more than filled up the plates, and then I would make a cherry pie and top that with a scoop of Breyer's vanilla ice cream the approximate size of Delaware. A cuppa mocha java, and it was time to let the belt out a notch or two.

And then, hours later, when we were cleaning up the dishes ("putting supper away," in Pennsylvania parlance), daggone if I didn't feel hungry again! And then the midnight choice - cold slab of pork roast or rice cake?

If I were to become president, and that looks quite doubtful unless I suddenly become a hockey dad (that seems to be a deal-making attribute with the plebiscite all of a sudden) I would be ready for that 3 AM phone call, because I'd be up anyway, looking for the bicarbonate of soda.

Memoirs of a life well-lived...


* The Pennsylvania - Maryland border, that is!

No comments: