Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Stanley Streamer

One day some years back, I was perusing Facegram or Instabook or whatever, when a friend of mine pointed out that wearing Champion brand leisure wear was suddenly cool, and she knew this because her very cool daughter suddenly wanted Champion hoodies and sweats and I don't know what-all else.

I looked down and noticed I was wearing a Champion hoodie and Champion sweatpants, both purchased for cheap at the sadly-departed Gabriel Brothers store, where all of us cheapskates bought our clothes. I was thrilled, I was accidentally cool, and I don't even know if the young people still like Champion or not, but I still have both of those garments, because what's a couple of stains and holes?

It's funny how brand names can suddenly be popular. Take these Stanley drinking cups (and some people do!)

Police in Roseville, California have cleaned up the case of the theft of $2500 worth of Stanleys and are charging a Sacramento woman in the case. The evidence against here seems damning, since employees saw her putting the merchandise in a car and hauling it out to her car, brazenly filling the trunk as employees howled for her to stop.

Exhibit A: Trunk full of loot.

The woman is 23. When the police showed up, they made her pop the trunk, and there were the 65 mugs. So they took her for a mug shot. 

These cups, known as Quenchers, cost between $20 and $60, if you stop to pay for them.

The City of Roseville Police Department issued this Crimefighter's Note:  "While Stanley Quenchers are all the rage, we strongly advise against turning to crime to fulfill your hydration habits."

I know the urge is strong for kids and people who act like kids to have the latest, coolest, hippest thing.

I also know that the latest, coolest, and hippest thing is to have the character to do and like what you do and like. 

1 comment:

Andrew W. Blenko said...

Mug shot - lol