Monday, March 4, 2013

A blessed day

It was one of those chance encounters, two strangers on a hospital elevator.  I was leaving my orthopedic surgeon's office after he told me to take my knee trouble to my back surgeon.  That kind of a day...

But I held the elevator door for a lady, a bit older than I, one of those nice people you meet every so often.  She apologized for taking a while to get in the elevator car, but, as I said, I'm not in a hurry, take your time, and what floor did you need, ma'am?

Well, she didn't know; it was her first time seeing this new doctor and she was having a hard time finding his office, but she had tried 3 and 4 and so now she was ready to give the second floor a once-over to see if he was there.

We got to 2 and I asked if she wanted me to hold the car while she looked.  She said no, thanks just the same, and then she said, "Have a blessed day!"

Well, that's the kind of thing that many people use as a "Take care!" sort of farewell expression...a throwaway line...but from this dignified and kind lady, it seemed like so much more. 

I got back in the car, popped on the Bluetooth, called Peggy (Blessing #1) and told her where things stood, and drove home (#2) in my car that started, ran and stopped at the right times (#3) and all along the way, I saw (#4) things for which to be thankful.  I stopped at the grocery store (#5) and spent some of my money on some milk (#6) to put in my tea (#7) when I got home.  I thought of family (#8) and friends (#9) and the fact that we live in the greatest country on earth (#10) and then I sat down at the pc (#11) to read my emails (#12) and check in with my Facebook family (#13).

Then Peggy came home and took me to the Double T Diner (#14) to celebrate my first year of retirement (#15) and we had a wonderful meal (#16).

That lady inspired me to have a blessed day, so I counted my blessings! And I haven't stopped counting because I haven't come close to counting them all.

1 comment:

Mary-Lynn said...

Feeling thankful!