Thursday, October 4, 2012

In which I quote from Matthew

You might not recognize the name Amanda Clayton, but you probably remember her as the woman from Michigan who won a million semolians in the Lottery out there in 2011 - and then continued to collect welfare ($5500 in food stamps and other benefits.)

It broke down like this: Clayton chose the lump sum payout of $735,000, and then half of that went to taxes.  With two kids to support and two houses to maintain, and no job, she figured that as long as those benefits came her way, she was not going to complain about them.  A TV station in Detroit found out about this and confronted her; she pleaded no contest to fraud in June and was given six months' probation.

She didn't live to see the end of the probation.  She died over the past weekend at a friend's house; the cops suspect a drug overdose.  Once again, the riches of the world got all dusty.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.



That's from the Bible, friends, and while I'm no Bible scholar, I know that verse by heart.  You see, back when I was a kid, my Dad bought a wooden shipping crate for 50 cents and then decorated it as you see here.  That hand painting, that calligraphy: all his.  It was my toy chest as a kid and it's our blanket chest now.  So, I've seen this scripture just about every day of my life, and I commend it to your attention for contemplation.

No comments: