Monday, January 9, 2012

Wonderful weekend

It was a good weekend!  Friday like a dolt I forgot something at the office, so Peggy went back with me and we ran into a friend who was leaving for the day.

Not only that, but she was also leaving for good.  She transferred in to our office a couple of years ago, and she was very professional and kind at all times.  I mean, here it was, the last day of her time on our job, and it's almost 6 pm and she was still there, packing her stuff and moving along.  Very conscientious, very dedicated to the job.

How many people would do that?  She was the only person in the building, as far as I could tell.   No one was there, yet the way this person is, she was there, and that's all that mattered.  I know that she knows how true it is, that old expression "Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching."

Then on Saturday I did the grocery shopping and had yet another occasion to be in the store aisle when a smallish lady needed help.  Pickled beets are just the sort of thing that always winds up on the back of the top shelf.  There I was, making my way down the veggie aisle intent on picking up a bag of Bob's Red Mill Organic Corn Grits Also Known As Polenta, as the complicated bag likes to say. Anyhow, 1/2way down the aisle, I saw that shy smile that all of us tall men have come to know.  "Excuse me, sir, I need your height..." she smiled.

Now, if you know me, and even if you don't, you know that I tend to ham it up. (Really!)  So forgive me for sweeping that jar of beets off the back of that shelf and plopping it into her cart the way that Cal Jr used to pick up a grounder and feed it to the second baseman to start off a double play.  Went home with the eats, put 'em away and then it was time for a treat!  We had a wonderful dinner at the diner, and came home in time to watch the end of a playoff game and watch some old Dragnet shows I bought at WalMart (22 episodes, 5 bucks.)

Sunday we did some chores around the house and settled down to some serious football watching. Dinner turned out fine and we just enjoyed the day.  This Tim Tebow story with the Broncos is really something to see, and we were happy to see him win the game in heroic fashion, 11 seconds into overtime.
By Sunday evening, Peggy was watching her Masterpiece Classics on PBS, and I of course got on the computer looking for pictures of Ben Roethlisberger with that look on his face.  There are thousands of them.

We don't jet to France for the weekends, and to be quite frank about it, I am sorry for those who do.  A couple of days off with the person you love, dinner at the diner, and the American spectacle of football and pork roasts are things I couldn't live without.

No comments: