Sunday, November 1, 2009

I'm going door to door

This photo would not be accurate to depict our trick-or-treating adventure from last night. This crowd shows more t-or-t'ers than we got all evening in aggregate.

It's ok though. Our friends Jesse and Clarissa will wind up with the lion's share of the leftover Milky Ways, Baby Ruths, Tootsie Roll Pops and what-all else I scooped up. I always buy way more than we'll need, just in case of an invasion by minivan, like the ones we would get in the old neighborhood. Now we get a couple of kids here and there, going door to door in a most desultory fashion, the parents always right there on the sidewalk or in the waiting car. And that's the hell of it. There used to be such glee when you opened the door to behold a bevy of costumed kids. Now it seems to be more for the parents and the kids aren't really into it so much anymore. I could be wrong.

I suppose it's all gone the way of everything else; the kids can't do anything alone for safety reasons. In my bucolic childhood, we were sent out on Halloween after dinner and not expected back until the morning of Election Day. Then we were taken from polling place to polling place to vote for the Kennedy of our choice.

It was a simpler time. I liked it a lot!

No comments: