Wednesday, December 24, 2008

You Can't Be Sad

We had some freezing rain this morning, and I am off, but was already planning to take Peggy to work today so that I could pick her up this afternoon, round up Mom, and head up to the family Christmas Eve gathering.

On the way home, I slid in one of my favorite home-burned CDs and heard Sly and The Family Stone doing "Life." Ever heard that one? It wasn't a hit, but the lyrics are so meaningful. Here's the last verse:



You're gonna be sad sometimes

You might wake up to find your pet is gone

But maybe he's tired of bein' alone

Dog gets hip, it has to go

And if you're lovin' you can't be sad no more



From this, I get the point that has so often been made: if you love someone, you've got to love them! And then you won't be "sad no more." So watch out in 2009 - I am going to try to find a thousand more ways to show those I love that I love them.

Mom's move to the senior living community means that for the first time since 1955, Christmas Eve will not be held at the old family manse. It will be just as merry to be at my sister's with all the family participants, but I will miss seeing Santa riding on the engine from Providence Volunteer Fire Company, where I spent so many days and nights as a bald-faced boy and young man. That's an annual tradition out there - been going on since the early '50's - and even though I won't be there in person, I will be there in thought.

Who knows? Maybe some new tradition will spring up in its place. Anyway, seeing the kids making merry and the chance to be together, enjoying each other's company, seeing baby Izzy experiencing her first Christmas, waiting for baby Finley to arrive in a couple of weeks...it's all good.

To friends, and family, and friends I haven't met yet - Christmas love and cheer! 2009 is going to be wonderful - thanks for looking forward to it with me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, sitting here almost in tears! I, too will miss Providence Road this year. But it will be time for NEW traditions.


Just being with you is good enough for me! Love you!

Ralph said...

Merry Christmas, Mark and Peggy! Mark, I look forward to many more moments moments enjoying your onme-of-a-kind observations and memories. Thanks loads.

The Beynon Family said...

I am right there with Peggy. We passed Santa coming down Seminary Ave on the way home tonight and for some reason (Drew says I am hormonal), I burst into tears. It was a lot of fun being with you and Peggy tonight making new memories! Love you both!

princealexsmomma said...

It was a wonderful Christmas. Thank you for helping to make Izzy's first Christmas so merry and bright.