Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Raspberry Deluxe

Some people liked The Raspberries, the power-chord pop band from Cleveland from the 1970s. I did! "Go All the Way", "I Wanna Be with You", "Let's Pretend" and "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)" just say so much about that era. Their leader, Eric Carmen, followed up the success of the group with solo numbers such as "All By Myself", "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again", "Sunrise", "She Did It", and "I Wanna Hear It from Your Lips" that all sound like a Saturday night in the 1980s if you play them today.

Raspberries in the 1970s. Eric Carmen, far left. My father, no lover of their music, once called me because he saw them on the Mike Douglas Show. Dad was awestruck by the incredible bouffant pompadour that Eric's hair squad had sprayed atop his head.

And I enjoy adding some fresh raspberries and blackberries along with the grapefruit wedge that floats in my seltzer, so yessireee, Bob, I do love raspberries. And coming soon....

The Girl Scouts of the USA have announced that a new rookie cookie will be joining their lineup in 2023. They call it the the Raspberry Rally cookie!

What we know about this fundraising cookie is that it will be thin and crispy...sort of a “sister” cookie to everyone's favorite Thin Mints, but instead of mintiness, it will be infused with raspberryness and dipped in the same delicious "chocolaty" coating.


(I guess that means it's not real chocolate, the same that they have to say that Velveeta is not cheese, but "cheese food.")

It's a tad bit early for Girl Scout Cookie season; it's January through April, but you can always go to www.girlscoutcookies.org to leave your name so you can be contacted as soon as your local troop starts trooping this cookie your way.

I like to see this program in action.  As they say. "Girl Scouts learn leadership, problem-solving, and community building through the Girl Scout Cookie Program."

I think that every young person should have a job at some point that involves people handing over their money for something. That's where you really learn some lessons about people - how magnanimous they can, and how stingy.

I've never discussed this with anyone, but I have to feel that a lot of women learned a lot about people by sitting in front of the Try 'n' Save Market at a card table with other Scouts and a mom or two, selling cookies. I've seen people treat them rudely and have heard about people ripping off their money or their merchandise. Maybe we adults could offer a little kindness and support.

 

 

 

No comments: