Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Nuts

If you live long enough (so far, so good for me and you!) you will have seen everything old become new again. Styles in hairdids, clothing, manners of speech, and all sorts of things come and go and then come back if you wait around.

So now I see someone saying that "the latest food trend is now surfacing and we can’t help but scratch our heads in thought..." Food trend websites, always the first to report what was hot six months ago, are saying that putting peanuts in your Coca-Cola is a southern delicacy that you need to try.

It works best with a bottle, I think, but the deal is, grab a handful of goobers and let your hand funnel them down the bottle's neck, where they can marinate for a while. You have to use salted peanuts so that the salt can intertwine with the sugary soda, and then after you finish your sweet and savory pop, you get to tilt the bottle back and have a nutty snack! 

 

Or use a glass. It's all good.

And for those who remember classic country music, this was mentioned in Barbara Mandrell's 1981 hit "I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool." However, I do not recall a time when country wasn't cool.

I didn't know there was even such a thing as The National Peanut Federation, but they say this practice dates back to the 1920s, when workers with dirty hands didn't want to handle their snack, so they just dumped nuts into their Coca-Cola, and away they went to snack heaven.

Two things about all this: the Peanut Federation says this was a Southern deal, but I first came across it at a birthday party for a second-grade classmate name Peter "Twig" Terwilliger, and he was no southerner, no sir.

And sorry, Diet Coke just doesn't get it. Myself, I haven't had a soda pop since 2005, can't stand the sugar, but I drop 'em in my grapefruit seltzer and I go right to town. 


 


1 comment:

Andrew W. Blenko said...

I’ll have to give that a try!