Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Duke Duke Duke Duke of Earl

I'm sure you heard the big news! The Duke and Duchess of Sussex  - that's Harry and Meghan to us! - welcomed their baby girl last Friday at 11.40am at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital out in California. Instead of having a trumpeter walk around heralding the news, they put it on their Archewell website, saying they were “blessed” by the newborn.


They have named the baby Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor. Lilibet is how Queen Elizabeth said "Elizabeth" when she was young, so it's sort of a family nickname for the queen. As a child, I tried giving myself the nicknames "Tito" and "Leon," but neither stuck. The Sussexes, as they like to be called, will refer to this new child as "Lily."

What doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me is that The Harmeister and Meghasauras Rex are getting inquiries from regular folks on this side of the ocean and that as to where to send gifts, in the apparent delusion that these two can't afford to buy onesies and Diaper Genies and baby butt wipes and all that. Let me put your fears to rest. Little Lili will never wear the same "Daddy Is Sixth In Line For The British Throne And All I Got Is This Crummy T-shirt" T-shirt twice.

But to their credit, M & H said, instead of sending them gifts, people should support these four women's charities: 

  • Girls Inc
  • Harvest Home
  • CAMFED
  • and the Myna Mahila Foundation.
Meggie has been involved with each of these groups and is able to recommend them without question. They deal with specific areas of women's lives from poverty to pregnancy.

And in case you were wondering: M & H said on their webpage that they are on  “on parental leave” for now.




2 comments:

Richard Foard said...

I am embarrassed to admit that I once tried to give myself the nickname "Rex." Thank Heaven it didn't stick. Later, at Towson High, gravel-voiced classmate Bill Weaver called me "Richie," in a mash-up of teasing and affection. This was corrupted into "Reggie" by eavesdroppers, but this, too, didn't stick. So, ever since, I've been called "Rich" by my acquaintances and "Richard" by my friends. Go figure. Oh, and then there was one sharp-witted friend who often referred to me as the posh-sounding "R. Meredith-Foard from the 'Sosh' (Sociology) Department," ironically presaging my later tenure as a member of the research faculty at Georgia Tech.

Mark said...

Of all my cherished friends, you seemed like the most deserving of a hyphen!