Tuesday, August 11, 2020

It doesn't mean "Bidirectional Forwarding Detection," either

I guess I was a teen by the time I first heard the expression "BFD," and, with my background of hanging around more firehouses than schoolhouses, I thought it referred to the Baltimore Fire Department.

Nope.

Then I had one of those 'ah-ha' moments Oprah is always advertising as one of her favorite things, and it dawned on me what they were talking about every time someone said "BFD!"  It IS a big deal, because there is nothing better than BFD  - as in Breakfast For Dinner.

You see, my dad worked all three shifts when I was a kid (not all at once, you understand, but a week of dayshift, then a week of 4-12, and then the dreaded 12-8. A nice eye-opener with sausage, eggs, and toast, and he was ready to go to work.

And I don't know if you've ever worked on the midnight shift (old line: big boss asks supervisor how many people work on the midnight shift. Comes the reply: "About half of them.")  Some people adjust well right away, some never get used to it, but no matter how well you adjust, the chances are, if you work all night and sleep during the day, when you wake up, you won't feel like having a T-bone steak and baked patootie and broccoli with "Highlandtown" sauce, so you go to the breakfast menu and ask for waffles or toast and bacon or sausage or both and then eggs - scrambled, sunny side up, over easy, and some grits.  Nice way to get the system activated.

As a retiree, I am currently shiftless, but even when I worked the straight day trick, I still liked BFD and I recommend it to those who are looking for that something special to delight Mom and Dad and Billy and Sis.

No comments: