Tuesday, August 18, 2020

What's that sound?

Well, the results are in, and I guess that I can share that I am currently dealing with an apparently incurable medical condition. I don't think they will have a telethon for this disorder; if they did, no one could hear what the host was talking about.

We're talking about auditory pareidolia, and the chances are you or someone you love may have it as well. The online dictionary at the University of Facebook Medical College defines AP as “Audio pareidolia is hearing words/music that are not actually in the sounds you are hearing. This can occur by misinterpreting words that are being said, or by hearing words in random noise."

Here is where it strikes, deep in the heart of man. First of all, we live in a two story house.  Peggy has her story, I have mine...old joke. But, our house should be turned upside down.  The basement is the coolest part of the castle in the summer and the warmest in winter.  The main floor is comfortable, but the upstairs, although nice and snug in winter, is positively Hadean in summer, as the merciless sun beats on the attic above. Even at night, after the infernal ball of fire in the sky has loitered at about 10 feet above our roof all day, it's still hot up herrrre, Nelly.

You know how many fans Harry Styles and Ariana Grande have, combined? That's how many fans we have going around up here all summer long, and that's there the pareidolia comes from.

For years I thought my sanity was ebbing away and that the final little bit of cheese had finally fallen off my cracker, but I as I lie awake in bed at night, waiting for sleep to overtake me, I hear music or voices in the room. And it's not like, "Oh, that's the Beatles with "Yes It Is" from 1965" or "This is Norm MacDonald talking about Carrot Top" or maybe an old speech by Nixon.

And then, as I fret about whether I sent out thank you notes to the staff at the colonoscopy clinic last time (I'm a handful while sedated) I toss and turn thinking I am the only person in the world who hears music while no radio is on and voices while no one is speaking and I figure it's because I am stark raving mad.

But now I read all about it "Ask Marilyn" in the Parade Magazine and I am free to find something else to be sure I have!


No comments: