Thursday, January 2, 2020

Blue on blue

Outside of that Bono guy from U2, hardly anyone in the world takes themselves as seriously as do the people at Pantone, a New Jersey company that runs the PMS (Pantone Matching System for colors) and annually decides which color is the color of the year.

I see red when I see people getting green with envy over some color or something. I mean, I understand there is a psychological basis for why we like some colors and disdain others. I happen to love brown and orange, and so regard the Cleveland Browns uniforms as the snazziest in all of pro sports. It's tough to admit this in Baltimore lately, but purple leaves me cold. Surely this like and dislike harkens back to something that happened when I was a tiny little barefoot boy with cheek of tan.

Maybe that's it!

Anyway, for reasons best known to themselves, the good Pantonians have decided upon the Color Of The Year for 2020, and it's....Classic Blue!

Nice color, if you like blue. It would look nice on a pair of pants, or a book cover, or a new car, or dozens of other things.

But did you ever think to wax so rhapsodic about a color as to go on like this?

I'm not kidding here. I'm going to let you read what the people at Pantone say about this color:


Instilling calm, confidence, and connection, this enduring blue hue highlights our desire for a dependable and stable foundation on which to build as we cross the threshold into a new era.

Introducing Pantone's Color of the Year 2020, Classic Blue 19-4052
Instilling calm, confidence, and connection, this enduring blue hue highlights our desire for a dependable and stable foundation on which to build as we cross the threshold into a new era.

A timeless and enduring blue hue, PANTONE 19-4052 Classic Blue is elegant in its simplicity. Suggestive of the sky at dusk, the reassuring qualities of the thought-provoking PANTONE 19-4052 Classic Blue highlight our desire for a dependable and stable foundation on which to build as we cross the threshold into a new era.

Imprinted in our psyches as a restful color, PANTONE 19-4052 Classic Blue brings a sense of peace and tranquility to the human spirit, offering refuge. Aiding concentration and bringing laser like clarity, PANTONE 19-4052 Classic Blue re-centers our thoughts. A reflective blue tone, Classic Blue fosters resilience.

Well now, I mean, really. I don't think I could go on like that about the finest meal, concert, movie, vacation or human interaction I have even known!

Maybe I need to have my resilience fostered. Like the poor kid who could only afford one mump at a time, I guess I'll try to avoid having the blue.

No comments: