Thursday, January 16, 2020

Fruit Of The Boom

Deuteronomy 22:11 teaches us:

You shall not wear cloth of wool and linen mixed together.

And this was written long before some fool came up with the idea of dacron and orlon and polyester.

My taste in clothing is simple, and you can bet that most of it is cotton. I do not like the feel of polyester fabric; it feels like I'm wearing a shirt or pants made of Saran Wrap (and no one needs to see that!)  So I don't wear it. It's my choice.

But if I worked for a corporation that forced me to wear a uniform, I would have to, and now it seems that besides feeling clammy all day, those uniforms might be insalubrious.  Not to mention unhealthful and noxious.

It's bad for you, ok?  And now people are going to take action.

Some Delta Air Lines employees are suing Lands' End. They have been forced to wear unis made by that firm since 2018, and people are sick about it, they say.

This horrible clothing even makes people stand funny

The lawsuit was filed in Wisconsin, home of Lands' End, and it joins another suit filed by two Delta flight attendants in New York in May.

In the Wisconsin suit, the employees seek class-action status for 64,000 Delta employees - including flight attendants, airport customer service employees, ticket and gate agents, and SkyClub workers.

The claim is that the uniforms caused skin rashes, headaches, fatigue and other problems. The workers ask that Lands' End should take back the uniforms and start a health monitoring program for those affected.

Delta, which is not named as a defendant, said they invested in "a rigorous toxicology study" of the uniforms.

"The results of the study confirm our uniforms meet the highest textile standards," the company said, "with the exception of the optional flight attendant apron, which we removed from the collection."

The lawsuit says Lands' End added chemicals to the clothes to make them stretchier, wrinkle- and stain-resistant, waterproof, anti-static and deodorizing.

Nice idea, but to do that, they added amounts of chromium, mercury and formaldehyde, and other lovely chemicals, in excess of industry standards.

I see a lot of advertising for clothing, and then I don't buy any, but I don't recall seeing an ad for Lands' End (or any couture, haute or otherwise) that proclaims, "Now with even more chromium, mercury and formaldehyde!" 

Chromium is for car bumpers, mercury is for thermometers, and formaldehyde is for embalming dead people. I don't wish to be any of these three things, so I'll be over here in my jeans and T-shirts, if you won't mind.

No comments: