Wednesday, January 27, 2021

The 3MMM

 Since so many people tell me I need some good advice, I never miss the "Ask Amy" column in the Baltimore SUN, written by Amy Dickinson.  I always like to compare my imaginary answers to her real ones, and I notice that she rarely suggests to her correspondents that they simply "knock it the hell off."


But the other day, she shared a letter from David Thoele, M.D, a pediatrician from Chicago. In order to help his patients deal with stress and anxiety, so prevalent during these times of COVID-19 and its attendant concerns, he suggests that they keep a journal, and he recommends what he calls he "Three Minute Mental Makeover - the 3MMM. 

To do the 3MMM, write:

  • Three things you are grateful for, and be specific ("My dog when she wags her tail," "My dad when he bakes cookies.")
  • The story of your life in six words (example: "Born, School, Work, Work, Work, Work.")
  • Three wishes (Pretend you have a magic lamp. List your wishes.)
I am going to do this, and I can promise you that my answer for the second question won't have nearly as many mentions of the word "work."

I'd love to see your answers!

No comments: