Tuesday, June 20, 2017

U cn lern

I saw a list online and it was perfect for those who have plenty of time to do stuff, and the desire to do stuff. (Gotta have both!)

It was a list that was talked about in one of those TED talks. I once had a boss named Ted, and he often invited me into his office to sit down and give him a good listening-to, so I don't normally attend these talks. But this one is a list of things, skills you are supposed to be able to figure out within a week.


"Where Ma Rainey and Beethoven once unwrapped a bedroll,
tuba players now rehearse around the flagpole" - Dylan
Such as learning to play a musical instrument. And they only mean like the ukulele or harmonica, not the tuba or the glockenspiel. 

Or driving a stick shift. Mark that down as "DONE" for me, former owner of many a car or truck with a clutch. That, along with parallel parking (also on the list) truly is a skill that once learned is never forgotten. 

Learning to work a Rubik's cube, cook a basic dinner, write with both hands, juggle, tell a great story (I got a million of 'em!) and the basics of a new language are worthwhile time expenditures, to my mind. Who knows when I might find myself in a land where only Russian is spoken?  

But some of the other accomplishments listed are things like learning multiple digits of pi, breaking an apple in two in your bare hands, and learning the basics of martial arts. I don't know how valuable they would be. Although I will admit, at first I thought it said the basics of "marital" arts, and that's a whole other field.

Here's the link to the article, in case you want to learn something in time to show the neighbors at the 4th of July picnic. For me, I still need to learn to play solitaire. I've been working on that since Hector was a pup.

No comments: