Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Saturday Picture Show, March 11, 2017

Photographer Rebecca Lillith Bathory specializes in photos of abandoned buildings and rooms. This one makes me wonder about the fate of the baby or babies who once rolled in this perambulator.
This guy is doggone sick and tired of people asking him if he wants a cracker.
I remember reading this in first grade. I found it weak on character development and plot, and I used to worry that the reckless kid was going to be wearing that joystick in an unnatural fashion.
George Robert "Birdie" Tebbetts (1912-1999) was a longtime baseball guy.  He made the cover of TIME in 1957; he was managing the Reds and they were in first place 1/2way through the season, only to falter and wind up in fourth.  But I present him to you as more proof that only in the magical world of baseball can a grown man be known as "Birdie," "Cookie," or "Pencils" and no one thinks anything about it at all. If you go in for brain surgery and the doctor introduces himself by saying, "Hi, I'm Dr Birdie O'Hoolahan," run for your life!
Tomorrow, March 12, marks the 95th anniversary of the birth of Jack Kerouac, and if you've never read any of his books (most notable: "On The Road") I urge you to get a copy and enjoy it. I have several copies available for loan. A complex man, Kerouac put the "beat" in the word "beatnik." We have no idea who put the "nik" in there. Maybe the Russians...
"If you have troubles and you can't sleep, count your blessings instead of sheep."  It does keep the bedroom neater.
I do love The Who.  This greatest-hits album showed the band looking back on their early records.  It was named for their various nicknames: Meaty for physical fitness buff/lead singer Roger Daltrey, Beaty for drummer Keith Moon, Big for large bassist John "Ox" Entwistle, and Bouncy for hyperactive lead guitarist Peter Townshend.
I hope to see more signs like this very soon!

No comments: