Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Saturday Picture Show, January 25, 2014

 Well, they always said that the grass was greener on the other side of the unpaved dirt road out in the middle of nowhere, didn't they?  This must be somewhere in the middle of the country, where the land is flat.  I've heard that's how it is there, but I'm afraid to go; I might fall off the edge.
 For those who just can't wait for spring to get here, and your numbers are vast, here's a peek at some morning glories.
 I wonder if "writing sentences" is still an effective punishment.  It was when I was in school.  The entire class would be forced to waste paper and time, writing "I will not chew gum" or "I will learn to spend my library time wisely," which were promises rarely kept.  I remember our 5th grade teacher, Miss Robertson who became Mrs Lynch, having a more well-thought-out plan.  She made transgressors transcribe the essays of Ralph Waldo Emerson, and as a result, I am to this day a huge admirer of the works of Ralph Waldo Kramden.
Speaking of what goes on all across America, here's a trend:  there is every kind of Depot in every kind of town:  Home Depot, Office Depot, Landscape Depot, Beer Depot, and on and on.  Just Brakes?  There's Just Tires, Just Guns, Just Dentures, and Just Cabinets, just in Baltimore's Yellow Pages.  When it gets hot, I'll be searching for Just Ice and probably never find it.

No comments: