Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun (John Lennon)


"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" - Bobby Dylan
                             "Sunny, thank you for the sunshine bouquet" - Bobby Hebb  



You don't need an almanac to know that my favorite days are growing shorter as the days grow longer.  I'm not complaining, because any day that the Lord allows me to get out of bed and find a pair of red socks to put on is a good day, but I would really rather drive to work in the dark.  


I leave for work at quarter til seven in the yawning, and until this week, it meant that I got to work (0710) by the time that lucky old sun, which, by the way, has nothing to do but roll around heaven all day, starts peeking over the distant mountains and hitting my rearview mirror, meaning it's time to pull on the Dollar Tree shades, just like the ones you see Mr Dylan wearing above, but much cheaper.  


In winter, I get to work while it's still dark, and I prefer that.  What's nicer than headlights illuminating a swirl of snowflakes as I parade down Perring Parkway?  My office, in winter, shows me a lighted parking lot, with little pools of light on the parking spots.  From now til November, I see the sun.
I'll quote from The Beatles one more time to say,"I don't wanna sound complaining, but you know there's always rain in my heart (in my heart)."  I love a rainy day.  Someone has to!  Maybe I have the reverse form of that Seasonal Affective Disorder where people don't feel they get enough sun in the winter and so they buy sun lamps and play Jimmy Buffett music all day long.  I'd sit in the Stygian darkness and play Ernest Tubb all day long and I'm never SAD.




 

No comments: