Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Like OMG!

So, we've been talking lately about football and Alabama and bugs and bats and medical procedures, so I thought I'd lighten it up today and talk about something light 'n' breezy.

God.   

Now, I'm a big fan, big believer and it's great if you are too or however you want to play it.  I'm not one of those who acts as if I knew all the answers to the divine mysteries of life on earth and in the heaven that awaits many of us. (Including me, please!  I'm hoping to get in on a pass, since Peggy will surely be ushered right on in without delay.)  

But here are three things that I think about when I think about God, which is often, I hasten to point out:

  1. I am majorly grateful for him giving us this world and all its glories, chief among which is love.  And for sending Peggy to me.
  2. I believe that He could not care much less about who wins a regular-season major league baseball game, let alone exhibition games from the Grapefruit League.  I believe that what he did was bestow upon several thousand American males in each generation the athletic ability, coordination and grace (photo) to play this great game at its upper competitive levels, and then we can all sit back and see what these guys do with that gift.  In other words, I do not let my brow remain unfurrowed when some journeyman relief pitcher tosses a fat one to a slugger who lines a three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth, thereby blowing a two-run lead, and then says, "It was God's will." I just can't think that God likes one team more than another, or wills the Phillies to shut out the Braves, although I can see why he wouldn't like the Red Sox very much...
  3. I firmly believe that God Himself is in charge of the weather, and He sends rain when He thinks we need rain.  Television news anchors are forever trying to be so cute, "blaming" the weather man for a rainy weekend, and if you think about it, this is ascribing some very heavy power to a guy who can't grow his own hair, let alone cause a frontal boundary to form over West Virginia.
So those are some of my thoughts about God, and I look forward to hearing yours.  Unless you are a relief pitcher who just tossed a weak pitch to a strong hitter.

No comments: